The main aim of palliative care is to provide comfort and support services for patients’ with life-limiting illness, and their families.
At Canossa Private Hospital we believe that palliative care affirms life and regards dying as a normal process. It neither hastens death nor prolongs suffering. Patients who may benefit from an admission to the Palliative Care Unit include:
• Patients with a medically diagnosed life-limiting illness
• Management of symptoms including pain, nausea and problems with appetite and/or breathing
• Review and advice about appropriate medications
• Management of end of life issues
• Advice about equipment and community services
• Psychological, emotional and spiritual support
The focus for all care decisions is centered on the patient and family, and what they may be experiencing. Patient care is carefully planned, monitored and reviewed to meet each patient’s specific care needs.